What Causes subcutaneous fat? What is Subcutaneous fat is a common question frequently asked. Subcutaneous Fat is the deepest layer with five main functions: It’s the one way that your body stores energy. It functions as padding to protect your muscles and bones from the impact of hits or falls. It serves as a passageway for nerves and blood vessels between your skin and your muscles.
Having subcutaneous fat depends on genetics as well as your lifestyle changes such as diet and physical activity. Those with a large amount of subcutaneous fat (under the skin) often have a large amount of visceral fat (around the organs).
What causes subcutaneous fat?
Everyone is born with some kind of subcutaneous fat. Aside from genetics and lifestyle changes, people typically have greater amounts of subcutaneous fat if they:
- Eat more calories than they burn
- Are sedentary
- Have little muscle mass
- Get little aerobic activity
- Have diabetes
- Are insulin resistant
Why do we have subcutaneous fat?
- It’s the one way that your body stores energy.
- It functions as a padding to protect your muscles and bones from the impact of hits or falls.
- It serves as a passageway for nerves and blood vessels between your skin and your muscles.
- It insulates your body, helping it regulate temperature.
- It attaches the dermis to the muscles and bones with its special connecting tissue.
Is subcutaneous fat good for you?
Subcutaneous fat is an important part of your body, BUT if your body is storing too much of it, you may be at a higher risk for health problems including:
- Heart disease and strokes
- High blood pressure
- Type 2 diabetes
- Certain types of cancer
- Sleep apnea
- Fatty liver disease
- Kidney disease
Reducing the amount of subcutaneous fat (and by the same token visceral fat) with diet and exercise can help prevent these conditions.
But what if I continue to have that pocket of fat that is resistant to diet and exercise? Well, there have been many devices in the market that would help get rid of resistant subcutaneous fat. Some of these devices even promise permanent results by permanently destroying fat cells. Body contouring is a very popular procedure in aesthetics that helps you get to the dream body image that you’ve always desired.